Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A Belated Look Back at 2013

If I took a short view look back at at 2013 it would be easy to be frustrated and disappointed.  I ended the year dealing with multiple injuries and taking a full month off from any running at all.  Now that I'm into my 4th week of my comeback and starting to get stronger its becoming easier to look at the prior year in the big picture and be proud of my accomplishments.

I ran 1060 miles.  That's an improvement of 337 miles over 2012.

I ran 13 half marathon races. Ok so it was 11 half marathons and 1 marathon.

I ran in the Chicago Marathon as my first ever marathon.

I ran 23 races in total.

I set new PRs at all distances.  I was most excited about dropping my 5K from 23:35 down to 22:00 and my half marathon time from 1:55:07 all the way down to 1:49:13.

I raced in 2 new states running halfs in both Wisconsin and Las Vegas.

I also started blogging about my running adventures in 2013 and made many new friends doing so.  I inspired a few friends to start blogging as well.

I know this is just sort of an abbreviated look at things, but it shows a lot of success and improvement in only my 2nd full year of running.  I'm looking forward to even more improvement in 2014.  I've finally added a solid cross training regiment in addition to my running which can only help.  I just need to show a little more constraint in what I eat and maybe I'll finally get rid of my pouch up front.  There will definitely be new adventures and challenges.  The Wurst runners will be rocking Ragnar.  I'm also running a double trail half gauntlet in Michigan in August.  Another fall marathon is also in the works as a warm up for the Dopey Challenge that will start 2015.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on an awesome year! Despite those injuries you accomplished a ton! And hopefully staying injury-free is one of the goals too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm still working on the runner's knee, but yes, I want to remain injury free.

      Delete
  2. hey Eric, really like your blog. Might be interested in a possible partnership, can you send me an email when you get a chance?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year was only your second full year of running? DANG! You accomplished a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say? I was pretty ambitious and kept wanting to push myself

      Delete
  4. What a great year for you! That is awesome on the PRs for both the 5K and the half marathon. You will enjoy Ragnar, so much fun. I did Goofy Challenge this year and that was an experience.

    ReplyDelete